What will you learn?
The Doctoral Studies programme in English Linguistics develops students’ knowledge of linguistic disciplines and prepares them for independent research activity, especially in the fields of functional syntax, pragmatics, sociolinguistics, stylistics and translation studies. Students become conversant with methods of linguistic research, which they then apply in the preparation of their doctoral dissertation.
Graduates of the Doctoral Studies programme in English Linguistics find employment in positions in the area of humanities that require the holder to use independent critical thinking and be able to demonstrate knowledge of a wide range of linguistic and socio-cultural subjects. They are employed as researchers, university teachers, editors, translators, and in senior positions in organisations operating in areas of the humanities.
You do not have to come to Brno personally to take the entrance exam. The result of the admission process depends on the quality of the documents that you provide. Those will be assessed by the admission committee and you will be notified about the results via e-mail.
Terms of Admission
It is recommended that you choose and contact your supervisor before sending your application. For more information click here.
1. Submission of an electronic application in the Masaryk University Information System.
2. Submission of three letters of recommendation.
3. Submission of a copy of the applicants Master's Thesis (in English). If this is not available, an English-language summary of the thesis must be provided together with a minimum twenty-page sample of the applicant's academic or scholarly writing in English. Graduates of Masaryk University need not submit a copy, as their theses are available to the Doctoral Studies Committee via the Masaryk University Information System.
4. Submission of a transcript(s) of university/college studies, which must include:
- Dates you attended the institution(s)
- Titles of courses and examinations you completed and the marks received
5. Submission of a research proposal for the doctoral dissertation (in English).
6. Submission of a statement of motivation to pursue a doctoral degree in the English Language at Masaryk University (in English).
7. Submission of an academic Curriculum Vitae (in English).
8 Demonstrate English-language skills at the C2 level of the Common European Framework of Reference for Language by submitting one of the following certificates (not more than one year old at the time of the submission of the application):
- IELTS Academic score of 8.0 or higher
- Certificate of Cambridge Proficiency in English with a mark of A or B
- TOEFL iBT score of 110 or higher
- Graduates of colleges or universities located in English-speaking countries (i.e. the United Kingdom, Ireland, Canada, the United States, Australia, and New Zealand) need not submit test scores.
9.Receive a positive recommendation from the English Language Doctoral Studies, which is based on a complex evaluation of the materials set out in Items 1 to 8.
Do you have any firstname.lastname@example.org
Other study programmes