Students with special needs
Student with specific need is a person who has for example physical or sensory handicap, specific learning disability, autism spectrum disorder, mental or other chronic-somatic disorder. Services and counselling for students with specific needs are provided for free by Counselling and Career Centre. Our main goal is to eliminate obstacles in your study, to support your personal growth and to make you successful on the labour market.
Our crucial service is modification of study conditions – called as modification of study. Typically, this means an increase in exam time, access to study materials, securing barrier free premises, lending tools and technologies, assistance services, interpreting or speech-to-text-service, individual additional tutorial, drawing up individual study plan and others. Modification of study comes from students’ needs and current possibilities of university.
Counselling and Career Centre offers also for free psychological counselling (also in English) as well as legal counselling.
Mendel University is trying to satisfy students with different types of specific needs and is ready to help them to overcome their problems and difficult situations during their studies, which may arise in connection to their specific needs. Each faculty offers students with specific needs individual approach not only during their study time but also during whole exam period.
Brno University of Technology
- Brno University of Technology has a special support and counselling centre "Alfons" for students with any kind of disabilities.
- In case you need help concerning special needs, do not hesitate to contact the centre - they are English speaking and ready to help you and make your stay in Brno as comfortable as possible.
- More information can be found HERE
Service is available for students with:
- specific learning difficulties
- hearing impairmen
- visual impairment
- physical impairment
- mental health issues
- autistic spectrum disorders
- chronic somatic diseases
Our basic service is to define the impact of each student’s disability on his or her studies, state their needs in a ‘Study Agreement’ and pass the information on to relevant academic staff.
The Support Centre for Students with Special Needs ("Teiresiás") is Masaryk University's key facility helping students struggling with:
- visual or hearing impairments
- impaired mobility
- learning disabilities
- psychological disabilities
- chronic illness
The SCSSN offers a range of services from counselling for special needs applicants and entrance examinations administration to educational and psychological counselling and the implementation of associated organizational, didactic and technological measures throughout the study period or during testing and examinations to the development of complex individual study plans and the implementation of technically modified final examinations.
Additional information may be found on the SCSSN website.
Brno organisations for students with specific needs
- TyfloCentrum Brno, o.p.s. – services for clients with visual disabilities (impairments)
- Unie neslyšících Brno – services for clients with hearing disabilities
- Liga vozíčkářů – services for clients with mobility disabilities
- Práh jižní Morava, z. ú. – services for clients with psychiatric disabilities
- Paspoint, z. ú. – services for clients with autism spectrum disorders
- Anabell – services for clients with eating disorders