What will you learn?
The aim of the doctoral studies program is to provide a scientific education in the fields of education and andragogy. A graduate with a doctoral degree in the educational sciences program is ready for highly professional scientific research activity in the field of education. Graduates possess the knowledge and skills of basic and advanced teaching disciplines, the methodology of educational research, the design and execution of empirical research and the evaluation of its results, and the ability to disseminate research results to the professional community and collaborate with experts from other universities at national and international levels.
For continuing scientific careers, long-term foreign experience in postdoctoral positions is actively promoted for graduates.
Main research topics:
Distributed leadership in schools
Adult education in the world (comparative study)
School climates through pupils’ eyes
Communication between pupils in group classes
Digital technologies in formal and informal learning (life) for children, young people, and adults (digital technologies in school, family, work; digital technologies as part of normal day-to-day activities in different contexts and environments including virtual environments)
Informal learning for school leaders
The role of pupils’ language equipment in their involvement in teaching communication
Arguments in dialogic teaching
Successful graduates are able to pursue separate and highly professional scientific research activities in the field of teaching, to design and implement pedagogical research and to evacuate its results, to convey the results of their research to the professional community, and to collaborate with experts from other places of work at national and international levels.
The graduates of our doctoral studies program are very well prepared for scientific work, as evidenced by the fact that they are successfully hired at many Czech universities and continue to work in the field. Our graduates are employed by the Technical University of Ostrava, the Faculty of Education of Masaryk University, the University of Pardubice, Mendel University in Brno, Tomas Bata University in Zlín, the University of Hradec Králové, the Global School of Science in Nepal, the Royal University of Bhutan, and Comenius University in Bratislava. A detailed list of graduates is available here: https://pedagogika.phil.muni.cz/pro-applicants/doctoral-studies/pedagogy/graduates.
Only university graduates of Master's degree programmes with a corresponding or similar specialization can be admitted to the doctoral study programme (full-time or combined mode) after passing an entrance examination.
You do not have to come to Brno personally to take the entrance exam. The result of the admission process depends on the quality of the documents that you provide. Those will be assessed by the admission committee and you will be notified about the results via e-mail.
Terms of Admission
It is recommended that you choose and contact your supervisor before sending your application. For more information, please contact Mgr. Roman Švaříček, Ph.D. at email@example.com.
- Meet the eligibility criteria set out in the paragraph above.
- Submission of an electronic application in the Masaryk University Information System.
- Submission of a research proposal for the doctoral dissertation (in English).
- Submission of a list of published works (if any).
- Submission of an academic Curriculum Vitae (in English).
- Submission of an officially attested copy of the applicant's Master's degree (recognition of a foreign university degree, if applicable).
- Demonstrate English-language skills at the C2 level of the Common European Framework of Reference for Language.
- Receive a positive recommendation from the Education Doctoral Studies Committee, which is based on an oral entrance examination and a complex evaluation of the materials set out in Items 1 to 7
The evaluation of the applications will be done in two steps:
- Evaluation of the submitted documents.
- An oral interview via Skype
Contents of the oral entrance examination
- The extent of preparedness for academic research.
- Applicant's conception for the major specialization in terms of the studied subject.
- The dissertation project.
- Language skills.
Do you have any firstname.lastname@example.org
Other study programmes