System Engineering and Informatics
PhD study programmes are at the very top of university education programmes and students can reach this level only after achieving Bachelor's and Master's degree. PhD study programmes are open to holders of a Master's degree in corresponding subject areas who are interested in scientific work in a research-oriented environment. The standard duration of PhD study programmes at FBE MENDELU is three years.
The main objective of the PhD study is to prepare students for scientific work. This is achieved by providing students with specialized training in a relatively narrow field, focused on the student's creative and research activities. Study contents are based on an individual study plan which is developed by the student and his tutor at the very beginning of the study. In the first two years of PhD study students take exams, but must also work on their PhD theses and publish their first scientific papers. The third year of study is usually devoted only to work on the thesis. After a successful defence of the thesis the student is awarded the PhD degree.
The degree can be taken in a full-time or a part-time form. Students in full-time study form attend the University regularly. Apart from meeting the requirements stated by the study plan students also work as teachers. Students in the part-time form of study do not have to attend the University regularly but they have to attend consultations and take part in other events related to fulfilling their study plan according to the guidelines set by the tutor.
Economic Informatics is an accredited degree program within this doctoral program. It is open to all graduates of the master's degree program “System Engineering and Informatics”, or related programs. Due to the organization of studies (based on individual work of a supervisor and his/her student) and the capacity of the supervisors (from among professors and associate professors), it is possible to admit about 6 students per year to this program only.
Announcements about the admission procedure can be found here. The purpose of the entrance examination is to determine the applicant’s achieved expertise, publication results, and his/her skills for independent scientific, creative, and research-oriented activities as well as – especially for candidates for full-time students - prerequisites for teaching.
Course of study:
Each of the first two years of study in a degree program System Engineering and Informatics has to be closed by a board exam, which always consists of at least three parts.
The 1st examination (passing grade is a prerequisite for entry into the second year of doctoral studies) consists of
- Examination of thematic block Economic informatics (information and communication technology),
- Examination in one out of the following three courses: Economics, Quantitative Methods, and Management,
- Defense of a dissertation in working.
The 2nd examination (passing grade is a prerequisite for entry into the third year of doctoral studies) consists of:
- Examination on thematic block Information Systems,
- Examination on at least one course out of the following specialized courses - GIS analysis and data integration; ICT for modeling and optimization in the economy; Integrated information systems, quality, health and the environment management; Hypertext and multimedia systems; Modeling and simulation; Computer Networks and Communications; System engineering; Artificial intelligence and neural networks; KDD.
- Defense of a dissertation in working. In addition relevant student’s publications are required.
Compulsory subject is also the English language.
- entrance examination;
- the intent of dissertation + CV;
- nostrification - obtaining a certificate of recognition of the previous education.
Do you have any email@example.com
Other study programmes